Friday, January 22, 2016

How it All Began...

The first vivid memories I have with my encounters with wine was in Europe. I was seven years old. My family went on a summer vacation to France and Germany and there, we saw vineyards all along the country sides as we drove by, particularly in France. Since my sister and I lived in   Japan up until that point in life, we had never seen such huge fields with grapes. We learned then that these grapes were grown to produce wine. Of course we were too young to drink at the time, but we saw our parents drinking during meals and they told us some descriptions of each wine. On that same trip, we stayed at a bed and breakfast in Germany, where they had a cellar and the owners gave us a tour! 

My parents usually don't have wine stocked up at home. They typically drink wine only on special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, special ceremonies, vacations, etc. On the other hand, my boyfriend's parents have a variety of wine selections stocked up at home. Every time I am invited over for dinner, they offer me wine options that pair well with the appetizer and the dinner. This is probably how my love for wine developed. I think drinking wine is classy and because wine is said to be healthy, I don't feel bad drinking it. Of course if you drink it excessively, it's not good for you, but if you know how to drink right; pairing with food and drinking with the people you love, drinking wine is a wonderful experience--well so I think anyway. 

Wine is my favorite out of all the alcoholic beverages. However, I don't quite know any details about each type of wine or what kind of food pairs nicely with what. I just know that chicken and seafood go well with white and steak goes well with red. I hope that by taking this class and frequently going to wine tastings, I'll get a better understanding on pairing, tasting, and wine overall. Of course with a college budget, I cannot afford pricey bottles of wine but this course will help me greatly in the future for sure. I currently prefer white over red because I have not tried or been exposed to red wine that I absolutely love. I hope that by the end of this semester, I'll have a list of red wine that I love. Maybe I'll end up liking red more than white!! Right now, I like Chardonnay the best because it's not too sweet like Moscato or Riesling but it's also not too dry either. I'm looking forward to learning and exploring the world of wine!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment